10 Reasons Urban Planners should be on Twitter

Why Are You on Twitter?

Write Down Why You as an Urban Planner are on Twitter I want to quote you on a handout to be passed out at the American Planning Association’s National Conference next month. Your Twitter handle and encouragement for people to follow you will be on the handout, too.

If you’re doing planning work (even if you’re an aspiring urban planner) and you’re on Twitter, what value do you find in Twitter?

• To find interesting people working on interesting projects?
  • To make money?
  • As a public involvement tool?
  • Networking to get a job?
  • Cause it’s fun?

April 29th Update: Here’s the Handout
A big thanks to all of the planners who tweeted their reasons for being on Twitter. I apologize that we couldn’t use all of the tweets that we got. A designer from Fiverr picked the best tweets and did the layout of the handout.

So I Can Quote You…

Please leave a comment below with why you’re on Twitter along with your Twitter handle. Or tweet your reason/s to @cubitplanning and include the hashtag #apa2011. If you like someone else’s reason, leave a comment saying you second their reason or simply retweet their reason.

Background Details for the 10 Reasons Urban Planners should be on Twitter handout

I’m getting ready for organizing the Twitter table at the American Planning Association’s National Conference in Boston next month. Last year’s APA Twitter table was an awesome experiment with over 1,000 tweets going out with the conference hashtag.

Video of the 2010 APA Twitter Booth

What I learned from last year’s Twitter table was that the majority of planners that stopped by the Twitter table were either:

1. not on Twitter and uncertain about Twitter’s value to their profession, or
  2. big Twitters and already convinced of the value.

For this year’s APA conference, I’d like to provide resources for these two groups. For the first group, a handout quoting 10 reasons why other urban planners are on Twitter may be powerful enough to raise their curiosity and get this group of folks to ask questions. I’m looking forward to reading why you’re on Twitter.

No TweetBacks yet. (Be the first to Tweet this post)

12 Responses to 10 Reasons Urban Planners should be on Twitter

1. Kristen Carney March 17, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

@skcopeland I’ve learned a lot about planning efforts across the country, as well as grant and funding opportunities. It’s fun, too!

2. Kristen Carney March 17, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

@eclisham I follow people who know more than I do. I get best practices, lots of stuff to read and think about. They make me smarter.

3. Kristen Carney March 17, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

@auciello Because you learn +++ more on Twitter than through professional development opportunities. Twitter facilities free education.

4. @apa_virginia March 18, 2011 at 10:02 am #

@apa_virginia Twitter is great way to network with others of similar interest and especially for getting the latest news and information on everything from the Census to Sustainability. Plus we get a information out to our Chapter members (those who follow us) quickly.

5. Anthony Morales March 18, 2011 at 10:54 am #

I get most of my news from Twitter, it’s more relevant to me because I follow people I’m interested in, or who share an interest with me (@antm)

6. Hilary March 18, 2011 at 11:26 am #

I really value the communities that form on twitter. I like it even better when “my” communities cross-populate. So for example, when somebody who cares passionately about St. Louis, but might not be a planner engages in a conversation with professional planners about planning and can apply it here. There’s also a lot of overlap between the planning & GIS communities. I use tweetdeck and sort tweeps into columns based on interests or professions- so I have come to think of the people I follow as my individual communities.

I can’t go to the conference again this year, but I’d be really interested to know how APA chapters and/or sections are making use of Twitter to engage their local planning community.

7. Kristen Carney March 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

From @haydon2011 simple to stop the Trade Body in the Uk for Planners shiting on young unemployed planners who have no practical trainging

8. Karen March 18, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

Simple: to hear how cities and spaces do and don’t work for people, and what they do about it, and how they feel about that.

9. Kristen Carney March 18, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

From @katenesse I’m on Twitter to stay connected to other planners and issues important to planners. More than 140 char. worth of reasons.

From @counti8 My reason why #urbanplanning folks should be on Twitter: expand insight of what ppl in cities: http://ow.ly/4hugu #apa2011 @cubitplanning

Awesome Stuff!

10. Kristen Carney March 21, 2011 at 5:04 pm #

I use Twitter To help others learn what I know and to learn from people smarter than me @PHDPopHealth

tweeting as a planner let’s you engage a younger demo that doesn’t participate in town halls and other traditional forums @CenTXAPA

I tweet because all my tweeps are smarter than I am and I learn tons of shit from them. @eclisham

To reconnect w/ past colleagues & find future ones; follow fun events & people; see what planners are reading/doing #apa2011 @thecristen

News junkie;access to awesome professional community sharing & learning from each other @minbostratus

11. Crystal Wilson April 4, 2011 at 9:23 am #

For the Buffalo Green Code, I’m using Twitter to push out information related to the development of the zoning ordinance on behalf of the planners and city. It has been very useful in connecting to local community organizations and media outlets to community workshops. Professionally, I’m on twitter to share information related to technology use for urban planning.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. ToDo List Tips: Using A Secret Weapon to Attack Your ToDo List | Plannovation - March 22, 2011

[…] would have taken me forever. And yesterday, I hired the same designer to create a 1 page handout of Why Planners are on Twitter that I’m going to hand out at the APA’s 2011 conference. Check, check, check. I love the […]

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes